We are very fortunate to have a number of Hebrew day schools operating all within easy driving distance of our Fairfield community. Ranging from nursery school to high school and covering all the different denominations from secular/community to ultra orthodox. You can have your choice of high quality Jewish and secular education for your children. Following is a list of schools in our area.
- Bi-Cultural Day School
2186 High Ridge Road, Stamford
Jacqueline Herman, Principal and Head of School
Rabbi David Israel , Dean of Rabbinics
Joanne Karow, Director of Admissions
Enrollment 2011-2012: 353
Grades: Pre-K – 8
- Carmel Academy
270 Lake Avenue, Greenwich
Nora Anderson, Head of School
Enrollment 2011-2012: 230
Grades: K – 8
- Ezra Academy
75 Rimmon Road, Woodbridge
Melanie Waynik, Head of School
Jill S. Schaefer, Director of Admissions
Enrollment 2011-2012: 142
Grades: K – 8
- Hebrew High School of New England
300 Bloomfield Avenue, West Hartford
Rabbi Daniel Loew, Head of School
Edlyn Blitzer, Vice Principal
Rabbi Shimmy Trencher, Dean of Students
Grades: 9 – 12
- Southern Connecticut Hebrew Academy (SCHA)
(Formerly New Haven Hebrew Day School)
261 Derby Avenue, Orange
Rabbi Sheya Hecht, Headmaster
Rabbi Enan Francis, Principal
Enrollment 2011-2012: 200
Grades: Nursery (18 months old) – 8
- Yeshiva K’tana Of Waterbury
32 Hillside Avenue, Waterbury
Rabbi Yehuda Brecher, Principal
Enrollment 2011-2012: 298
Grades: Nursery – 8
- Merkaz Community High School for Judaic Studies
Marjorie B. Krubiner, Head of School
Margery Verlezza, Program Manager
Merkaz serves a diverse population and provides a pluralistic and supportive environment for Jewish learning. Each week, students from neighboring towns, synagogues, and high schools join together as one community to learn, socialize, explore and strengthen their ties to Judaism.
There is a newly renovated and decorated Mikvah, conveniently and discreetly located, to answer all the community's religious needs, including conversion, new brides, holiday and private appointments for both men and women. For questions or to schedule appointments please call 203-374-2191 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kosher Supervision for the Greater Bridgeport-Fairfield County area is under the Va'ad HaKasruth of Fairfield County. The Va'ad was originally established by Rabbi Jacob Mendelson of Congregation Bikur Cholim in Bridgeport.
Rabbi Mendelson currently serves as the Halachic Advisor to the Va'ad and Rabbi Fred Hyman of The Westville Synagogue in New Haven is currently serving as President. Area rabbis meet to discuss any questions or issues that may arise. The following establishments are under the supervision of the Va'ad of Fairfield.
Vaad HaKashrus of Fairfield County
74 West Prospect Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06515
Rabbi Fred Hyman, President (413) 626-0367
Below is a partial list of establishments currently under the Vaad's supervision.
- Simcha Caterers 505B Spring Street, Naugatuck, CT (203)209-8413 http://www.simchacaterersct.com
- Mike’s Café & Pizzaria 1035 Newfield Ave. Stamford (at JCC) (203) 321-0051. Dairy & Parve available.
- Abel Caterers 70 Bradley Road, Woodbridge, CT (203)389-2300 http://www.abelcaterers.com
- Claire’s Corner Copia 1000 Chapel St., New Haven. Kosher and dairy.
- Edge of the Woods 379 Whalley Ave., New Haven (203)787-1055
- (All products inside the "arches" are kosher certified. This includes the bakery, sandwich, and salad bar departments. In all other parts of thestore, check products for kosher labels.)
- Edge of the Woods Cafee at the JCC 360 Amity Road, Woodbridge, CT
- Slifka Kitchen at Yale 80 Wall Street, New Haven (203)432-1134
- Westville Kosher Market 95 Amity Road, New Haven (203)389-1166
- Rita's Ices 1055 Huntington Turnpike, Bridgeport (203) 373-1040
- Stop 'n Shop Bakery, Villa Ave., Fairfield, CT.
- Stop 'n Shop Bakery, Main.St., Bridgeport, CT
- Rita's Ices 175 Boston Post Road, Milford (203)301-4490
- Baskin Robbins Stamford
- Beldotti Bakery 605 Newfield Ave., Stamford (203)348-9029
- Carvel/Cinnabon 1980 W. Main St. Stamford (203)569-7910
- Mike’s Café & Pizzaria 1035 Newfield Ave., Stamford (at JCC) (203)321-0051.
- Coldstone Creamery 1109 High Ridge Road, Stamford (203)487-7400
- Fairway Market 699 Canal Street Stamford (203)388-9815
- Certification in partnership with Rabbi Avraham Marmorstein. (Meat, fish and bakery products bearing Rabbi Marmorstein's certification are also under the Vaad's certification. Please check other products for appropriate certification before purchasing.)
- 613 108 Prospect Street Stamford (203)614-8777 Joint certification provided with OU.
- Navaratna Vegetarian Indian Restaurant 133 Atlantic Street, Stamford (203)348-1070
- Shop Rite Bakery 1990 W. Main St. Stamford (203)978-0464
- Ami's Bagels Waterbury (Only store at 111 Thomaston Avenue, Colonial
- Plaza, is certified by VKFC. Bagels are Pas Yisrael.)
- Rita's Ices 28 Ocean Avenue, West Haven (203)931-0031
- The Bagel Maven 538 Post Road East, Westport, CT. ONLY Whole, uncut bagels (parve), whole uncut muffins, (dairy), Croissants (dairy); sealed, unopened packaged fish, cheeses, spreads and beverages, bearing an acceptable national hechsher. All other products are to be considered NON KOSHER.